The Adventurous Way
First time visitors to Costa Rica are encourage to book private ground transportation as roads are no doubt navigable, but the terrain prohibits a freeway system throughout most of the country.
If you find yourself driving in the country, it is best to drive defensively and avoid driving at night, since the reflective paint that outlines the roads is faded or non-existent in some areas, making the curves dangerous for unfamiliar drivers. Below you may find detailed driving directions to Shana.
- When leaving the SJO Airport take the main highway (Inter American High Way) to San Ramon and drive aprox. 8 miles (13km) to take the exit to Atenas, Orotina and Jaco. At the stop sign (50 yards) turn left go over the bridge.
- After 1.8 miles (3 km) look for the church in the left side and take a left after a soccer field heading to Turrucares and drive 2 miles (3.2km) to get to the new highway. Once you see the HWY don’t go under the tunnel, take a left and drive 500 yards (through a parallel road to the HWY) to the East until a rotary. Once in the rotary take the first exit at the right to get on the HWY heading to the West to Atenas, Orotina, Jacó.
- Once on the highway drive for 16.5 miles (27km) or until you pass two toll booths. After the second toll booth take the first exit right with signs for Jaco.
- After passing under the HWY bridge you are now on route 34, from there Manuel Antonio is 67 miles distance. Follow the signs to Jaco, Parrita, Quepos. You will pass over the Tarcoles river or crocodile bridge.
- At this point of the trip you can have a little rest, stop before the Crocodile bridge, park your car near the restaurant, lock your car and walk to the center of the bridge. Please make sure to secure all your belongings all the moment.
- After the rest continue driving, follow the sighs to Jaco, Parrita, Quepos.
- Once near Jaco, keep on the route 34, this time continue driving to Parrita, Quepos. At this point of the trip the road to Quepos, Manuel Antonio is easier.
- In Parrita you have to pass through the town, and keep on the main road following the signs to Quepos, Manuel Antonio.
- After passing Parrita, there will be only two gas stations until reaching Shana Hotel, Residences & Spa in Manuel Antonio.
- The first gas station is at the right side in the town of Paquita, from there continue aprox. 2 miles. Follow the sign to Quepos, when you reach Colegio de Quepos (Quepos High School) turn right, at this point you will see a lot of signs indicating to turn right
- 400mts past the Colegio de Quepos, you will see the second Gas Station at your left, from there continue straight until you will reach a one lane small bridge. Just after the bridge, the road will look like it’s splitting, stay to the left.
- Drive moderate slowly speed and go straight aprox. 4 blocks and then make a left on the corner of a small park, at this point you will see signs pointing the route to Manuel Antonio National Park
- From there drive aprox 5km until you past in Front of Manuel Antonio soccer field. 200 mts after, take a detour to the left when you approach Café Milagro. After taking the left, drive aprox. 800mts straight on the paved road; Shana Hotel is located at the right side of the road. The security guard will advice on where to park once you have reached the hotel facilities.
At Shana Hotel & Spa we strive to enforce sustainable tourism and highly encourage you to choose not only the easiest and fastest way to get to our beautiful hotel but the greener by flying locally, please note that all domestic flights in Costa Rica are certified as Carbon Neutral and will compensate all carbon emissions emitted by your flight.
There are two domestic airlines offering daily flights from San Jose to the nearby small airstrip in Quepos located only 15 minutes away from Shana. Both airlines – Sansa & Nature Air depart from a small terminal within walking distance of Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO) in San Jose. For specific arrival and departure times, please confirm each respective airline’s website or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org We will gladly assist you with airline tickets for domestic flights and/or transportation from the airport to Shana.